Thursday, August 25, 2016

DISNEYBOUNDING: WHY IT'S OKAY TO BE A NERD



So a while back I stumbled on this tumblr site called Disneybound. Basically, it's a website that puts together outfits of Disney characters that you can wear to Disneyland. I know what you're thinking "Dressing up like a character at Disneyland? That sounds incredibly dorky."
Ok so maybe it IS a bit dorky. I can understand the response. In fact, I had a similar reaction.... at first. But then I thought about the concept behind it. Taking things from your closet you would normally wear ... okay that sounds simple enough and easy. Adding a few accessories to go with your character... that's cheap. But the question still remains WHY?

I guess it all boils down to remembering who you were when you were six years old. Can you remember that far back? When I was six I was a very girly girl, missing my top teeth, full of energy. I was no stranger to a microphone; singing any chance I got. I loved to dress up, and twirl around and I didn't care one iota what anyone thought of me.



I heard a saying once that we are all our true selves when we are 6. I'dlike to think that's true. Sometimes we forget what it's like to wear a tiara and to giggle uncontrollably. To point at fireworks and ooh and ahh. We cover up that part of ourselves and label it as "childish" "immature" or "silly". I guess my question to those people is: "What's wrong with being silly?"  As Walt Disney so poignantly put it "Adults are only kids grown up." That guy really knew how to be a kid.
And with that, I decided that this trip to Disneyland, I wouldn't be afraid or care what people thought. I  would just be the 6-year-old that had been dying to get out... and twirl.
 
So on the first day, I dressed like Ariel. I had my turquoise and purple on and my fishnet scarf. The finishing touch was a tiara I had saved from my wedding 9 years ago. And as I walked through the gates I was greeted with a "welcome back princess Erin". Wow, isn't that every little girl's fantasy? I had so much fun and I didn't look weird and I didn't stick out but I did get to put my mark on my trip and it was special because I got to match my baby girl, which was even more fun.
The next day I was a modern twist on Snow White. I loved it! I felt so colorful; like a real Disney character. I was even more apt to take pictures with characters! Including the mysterious Peter Pan who is a rare sight indeed.


                                                                                                                                                                 But the highlight by far was spending some time with my look-a-like princess for the day. We had some good gab time- us princesses have to stick together. It was a blast to have people recognize the outfit too!



So yeah, I guess maybe I've crossed some sort of nerd threshold, it's true. But if dressing up and being happy in the happiest place on earth is nerdy than I say, bring it! I highly suggest becoming a "nerd" yourself and enhancing your experience by Disneybounding. I promise, you will not regret it.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment